Here we are!
The art of mothering is to teach the art of living to children. ~Elain Heffner

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Typical...

So, it's still my first week of blogging, and I am already behind in my posts. Totally typical for me. I like to start fun little projects, and then I have a hard time keeping up. Anyway, I am back in business and have just a few things to report...

Part of the reason I haven't posted anything for a few days is because The P and I took a little trip down to Va Beach to visit my parents (GiGi and Pop Pop, as The P calls them). We went down on Friday and drove back up yesterday. The P is really a great traveller (knock on wood). I like to hit the road after lunch so she can nap for the first part of our journey and then she stays pretty content after she wakes up, as long as she has her "Aah-aah" (code name for her giraffe blanket). We had a really nice visit with GiGi and Pop Pop. They are always so happy to see The P and spend time with her. My dad is looking great. He is up and around in his wheelchair everyday. His upper body has gotten a lot stronger and he has much more control. His cognitive skills are also improving. We had fun playing poker and rummy. My mom has her work cut out for her, but she is hanging in there and doing a great job! The P woke up each morning looking for GiGi and Pop Pop and had so much fun hanging out with them. She also loved terrorizing Uncle Kid (my brother, John Michael) by knocking on his bedroom door and saying "knock knock Tid".

We made it back in town in time to rest up for our first gymnastics class today (Tumbling for Toddlers). The P's friends PJ (also called PeePee) and Emma are in our class too. I was really excited for class this morning. Little did I know it would be completely exhausting! It was tiring for The P, but I think it was way more tiring for me. She was on fire from the minute she stepped her bare foot onto the mat. As I tried to sit with the other parents and kids and to listen attentively to the safety notes for the class, The P was off exploring the gym. I had to keep getting up and pulling her back. Then it was time for warm up. All of the parents and kids ran, hopped, and skipped around in a circle following the teacher. The P and PeePee decided it would be more fun to hang out in the middle of the circle dancing and rolling on the floor. It was really cute to see how much fun she was having, but it was tough for me since I'm such a "rule follower". I wanted her to stick by my side and to listen and do exactly what the teacher said. After warm up we moved around the gym and tried out all of the different equipment. The P definitely had her own agenda which didn't exactly match up with what the teacher was demonstrating and what I wanted her to do. At the end of the class she still earned a stamp on her hand and a coloring sheet so she was pretty psyched. I think I have come to the realization that I need to loosen up a little and recognize that she is only 19 months old and let her have a good time and play the way she wants to, as long as she is having fun, not causing trouble, and sticking relatively close to the class. And...it is all worth it since it is 4:00 pm and she is still napping!!!

No comments: